Monday, June 4, 2007

Impromptu Gardening

So yesterday B. and I decided that we were gardeners. I realize that the picture is woefully unimpressive, but you just have to bare with me. About a month ago my mom and I were the recipients of several potted herbs from a Wine & Herb Tour that we did. Ever since, the little herbs and tomato plants have been struggling along in the little plastic containers that they came in. Feeling as though we had reached the breaking point on the sad little containers, we decided that we really had to replant them. Enter Trip #1 to Lowes. No big deal, we thought. Pots...soil...done.
Well, upon replanting the herbs I had an epiphany that I really had no idea what the hell I was doing. I have no gardening experience and neither does B. It occurred to me to actually read the little tags that came with the plants. The little tags informed me that tomato plants need to be planted at least 2 feet apart. Huh... Interesting. Enter Trip #2 to Lowes. We figured that if we were going to plant tomatoes, we may as well go for broke and create a little garden area next to the house where only stones and weeds used to live. So 6 hours, 2 trips to Lowes, 4 bags of dirt, 1 bag of mulch, and 20 pavers later, we have the world's most unimpressive garden, created at a house we don't even own. It's OK though, we got to feel domestic and maybe something will live long enough to put into a meal next month. I'll keep ya posted.

Gardening afterthought - Our little adventure was the most physical activity I've had in nine months (AKA: since I quit waitressing and started nursing my back injury), so today my back muscles and my leg muscles are quite sore!

3 comments:

Ouiser said...

my first gardening experience was last year. i was not, however, smart enough to read the tags. i planted about 20 tomato plants that I'd grown from seed in an area the size of a twin bed. a tangled mass of tomato vines (that devoured the pepper plants and basil) ensued. ironically enough, i never ate a single tomato. they sounded too gross when i was preggers.

i did, however, read the instructions this year, and i've planted a very manageable three tomato plants, one zucchini squash plants, three pepper plants, and a packet of basil...and i planted them all the proper distance from one another.

i can't wait.

feather nester said...

Good for you! I did a bunch of reading up on gardening last summer...and concluded that there's not much you can grow in Tucson other than cactuses. And then I didn't know how long we'd be here, so didn't want to invest in those and then have to leave them behind. My catnip from last summer is still alive and struggling. But alive. Not surprised you're sore. I've always heard that gardening is great exercise! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

So....growing something you can actually eat. It's a start. Come on out and give your back a real work out. We have 4 beds left that need planting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...