Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Weekend Update

B. and I had such a busy weekend! We left Saturday and drove 4 hrs. to the Crate & Barrel in Philadelphia to register for the wedding. Why would anyone be crazy enough to drive 4 hrs. to register, you ask? Well, we knew we wanted to register at C&B and there are none in Central New York. In addition, B. has a lot of friends down there so it was a nice way to see them as well.

Much to everyone's surprise, our 3 hrs. of wandering around with a scanner firmly attached to B.'s hand actually went quite well. To begin with, we own almost nothing of any worth as it relates to the kitchen other than hand-me-downs and items from the dollar store. And to continue, we love to cook and would actually use all the stuff we're asking for, so that made it even easier. The only difficult part was the flatware. So much of it looks so similar! "Not too modern" and "not too grandma-ish" was about the extent of my criteria, so we worked from there.

"How about this one?"
"No... that spoon is too big, I could eat all of my cereal in one bite"
"How about this one?"
"Nah, the fork is weird. Too pinchy."


Finally we narrowed it down to a few and just randomly picked one (pictured above). I mean really, how do I know what fork I'd like to use in twenty years?! There are bigger things in life to worry about and I just couldn't muster up the energy.

So after our shopping adventure, B. and I headed to his friend's house for a backyard BBQ and an intense Boys vs. Girls game of Taboo. Now, for the record, Feather Nester and I use to kick ass at Taboo so I wasn't intimidated, but it was significantly harder than I remember. Also, something about the game must work better with the female brain because, try as they might, the men just couldn't seem to get a handle on the strategy. Unless, of course, there was any kind of sexual or Simpsons reference that could be made, and then they were golden.

On Sunday we left Philly after a great homemade breakfast made on the All-Clad pans that our friends just received from their wedding registry and drove straight to Jaynes Ave's house. We hadn't seen Jaynes Ave or sweet baby S. in a long time, so it was lovely to hang out even though our feet were dragging from the long weekend. Luckily, this next weekend is a little more low key - cleaning and attending a "doctor and nurse" theme party on Saturday night.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your registering conversations sound so familiar. B's big sticking point in flatware was knives. It had to "weigh the right amount." "What does a good knife weigh," I would ask. "I don't know," he'd reply. In the end, we found some at an outlet store in Oneida and ironically, still got a grandmothery pattern from my grandmother (which we moved around with us three times before we decided to finally add them to the collection.) Flatware was not as traumatic as dishes, which left me crying on the floor of Macy's at one point. Oh well, we got over it and I think we have used our china three times.

feather nester said...

We would still kick ass. It's the amount of shared history you have, and knowing how to use it. That's where boys fall apart. Not exactly known as the greatest communicators, are they? Shhh...don't tell them.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had fun even though tireing. I enlarged the pattern it will go with anything. I really like it, makes me want to go out and get new for myself.:)In regards to china use it as much as possible and enjoy it to the max, I left mine in a box for years!!! afraid We might break it, so what, now that I use it it's fun and pretty and the memories are great.

Ouiser said...

I LOVED REGISTERING FOR WEDDING GIFTS. LOVED. LOVED. LOVED. Dishes and glasses and flatware and the pink mixer and cookware. I'm drooling on the keyboard.

Flatware was tough for us, too. That's why we ended up with two different sets that don't really look all that different from one another. The only advice anyone ever gave me on flatware was to make sure the end of the fork isn't so heavy that it will fall off your plate of rested on the edge. Does that make sense? It looks like you're safe.

I can't wait to check out your registry to see what wonderful kitchen-y things you've chosen.

I love this stuff. Did I mention that already?

And, Lori, use that china girl. It's so fun to get the table all dressed up. Then again, maybe that's just me. You know, the girl with three sets of china.

die Frau said...

Having just gone through this myself, I have to weigh in. DH and I loved picking out kitchen stuff; we didn't use Crate&Barrel simply because the closest one was also four hours away and we had no intention of driving to it. We weren't that motivated and had no friends to visit.

I chose the china; his one stipulation was "no flowers". We actually chose a very basic, dishwasher safe china because we're getting my grandmother's and they stil make the pattern (it's the same as the Queen of England's, I believe!) and I'm getting a really old set that was my great-grandmother's.

We have LOVED using our registry gifts! Especially the rice cooker.... ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...