Sunday, July 1, 2007

Doctors - Real and Fake

This week was filled with doctors. Earlier in the week had some real doctors when I finally got an x-ray of my back. I hurt my back two years ago when I bent over to tie my shoe and inexplicably collapsed. I didn't have health insurance at the time, so I didn't do much about it. And then last July (wow - I just realized that it's been a full year!!), I got health insurance but also had a firm case of complacency. It sounds crazy, but I was just used to chronic pain. So I finally went to the doctor last week after not seeing one in about six years. Poor lady didn't know what hit her!! Bless her heart though, she hung with me through my list of ailments and didn't make me feel rushed at all.

As I suspected, she couldn't come to any firm conclusions about my back, but she did order an x-ray as a starting point to rule out a few things. As it turns out, the x-ray didn't show anything definitive, so I go back in six weeks for another appointment. Here I am in my patient outfit on my way to the x-ray machine...


Then last night is where the fake doctors come in. Our friend S. from the museum is having surgery in two weeks and since Saturday was her last night to drink, she and her boyfriend celebrated by throwing a Doctor and Nurse party. B. got some trusty scrubs from my mom and I put together a nurse outfit with anything white that I owned and a bunch of red electrical tape. Our outfits worked quite well, we'll definitely have to recycle them for a future Halloween.


The strange twist of irony that brings both types of doctors together is that we were late to the party because my back pain kicked into overdrive that afternoon and I had to lay on the couch for a few hours. But a long regimen of Advil, then some alcohol, then some IcyHot towards the end of the party made it so I was able to get through the night. See... who needs a real diagnosis when you have such a sophisticated method of pain control!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Love the nurses outfit. On the topic of your back, I thought I would never do this but for the last five or so years I've been going to the chiropractor. It's made so much difference in my back, neck, and posture. It was so scary to start, but since Mike is addicted to adjustments we went together. Now we go together once a month for our Saturday appointment. If you find a good practitioner they'll do x-rays and be able to move things back into place for you. I've found that most doctors aren't a fan of the chiro, but I come to rely on it especially after all my time sitting at a desk.

Anonymous said...

Love the outfits. tell B I have a scrub cap made of NYGiant fabric, I'll give it to him. It's to small for my head. Marissa has a point esp. if you find a really good chrio. My friend readjusted my neck and have had no pain since. love mom. The deleted comment is a mistery?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...