Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Seared Scallops over Bacon and Spinach

So yesterday's post was the stay-at-home equivalent of your kindergartener who brings home the picture of the huge circle with the two sticks coming out the bottom and says "look, mom, I drew you!" According to the comments, all the other stay-at-home divas take their homemade cookbooks REALLY SERIOUSLY. And aren't I precious with my first attempt? Apparently I still have a lot of Martha Stewart to read when it comes to staying at home.

But regardless of my cute little baby steps, I've decided to use the cookbook all week and make some of the recipes that are so nicely organized now. Last night was Seared Scallops over Bacon and Spinach with Cider Vinaigrette.

AB-SO-LUTE-LY HEAVENLY!!



I can't say enough good things about this recipe. It was so delicious, "a party in my mouth," as B said, tasted like fall, was very hearty, and extremely filling. The salad was comprised of baby spinach, red onion, granny smith apples, and crumbled bacon. The dressing was reduced apple cider, apple cider vinaigrette, and some of the bacon grease and drippings. Lastly, the seared scallops were sprinkled with salt, crushed red pepper, and curry powder. The whole dish tasted so smoky from the bacon and curry, but yet so bright from the apples and the cider. A great balance.

As for portion size, I bought 5 scallops per person and we all felt very full afterwards. Of course, you could also eliminate the scallops if you're not a seafood person and serve it as a side dish. The only thing I changed was I added about a tablespoon of olive oil to the dressing before it was all done - partially to balance out the acid, and partially to make it go further.

Tonight's dinner is Mushroom Ravioli with Parmesan-Chive Sauce - look for the reviews tomorrow!

3 comments:

Strongmama said...

very funny-- we also had scallops last night-- from Barefoot in Paris cookbook. You got a much better sear on yours though.

Ouiser said...

oh, see, you actually MAKE the delish recipes. i don't. that's why i have to clear out the book on a regular basis.

enjoy the ravioli. i'll be dreaming of the parmesan-chive sauce for the next several hours.

die Frau said...

You inspired me to go through my self-made cookbook and I found all sorts of goodies I'd forgotten--thanks!

I may try your scallop recipe--looks delicious!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...