Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Home Grown Tomatoes presents...

Spinach Quesadillas
Home Grown Tomatoes is a weekly Vegan/Vegetarian column by
Giovanina Bucci 


I had the most beautiful weekend of nothing.  Absolutely nothing.  Nothing that involved any sort of effort, anyway...  I cooked, ate, sat, laid, watched movies, girly movies at that, drank root beer, took naps, spent copious amounts of much needed time with my sugar daddy.  It was blissful.  I was even able to convince Beau (aka sugar daddy) to rent and watch Fame.  Now, I'm relatively convinced that Scarlet Lily will appreciate my affection for musical theater/dance/singing movies that are often relatively cheesy and with acting that usually sucks.  But, these movies make me want to bust out a leotard and prance around my house while loud music fills the air.  They also make me wish that I had a stupid amount of money whereby I could join a dance company and plie my way into a rocking body.  But for now, I'll just make quesadillas and live vicariously through these dramatic interpretations of life on the stage...with my tap shoes on.  

Quesadllias have to seriously be one of the best, easiest Mexican food fixes ever.  Even more reason to love them...aside from that whole cheesy, gooey thing happening.  I kept these simple and actually I would be lying if I took all of the credit for these yummies - Beau was kind enough to bestow his knowledge upon me :)


Serving size: 1 tortilla per serving (plus a heap of other shiznit to make these nice 'n' hearty)

3-4 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
3-4 Tbs taco sauce or enchilada sauce (plus extra for the inside of your quesadilla)
cheese
spring onion
jalapeno
spinach

(Your options for fillings and portions are endless here, so get crazy and satisfy whatever craving you're having!)


Lightly coat a sauce pan with olive oil and taco (or enchilada) sauce.  Once you have evenly mixed the oil and sauce together, place the tortilla in the sauce pan, moving it around in order to coat one side of it, so that it fries up evenly.  With your tortilla open-faced (coated side down), shred cheese onto one half of the tortilla, followed by whatever toppings you're using, ending with spinach and an extra dash of sauce.  Fold over the bare half to create a half circle and let the melting begin on medium heat!  I flipped the quesadilla over after about 4 minutes.  I enjoy mine a little crispy on the outside, so just make sure to keep an eye on it, so that it cooks to your liking!  Once complete, top with avocado, salsa, and sour cream - open a crisp Corona and get busy :)

Perfect for a lazy Saturday morning that has potentially followed an "eventful" Friday evening.  Whatever your cause for making these, Enjoy!   


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...