Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Home Grown Tomatoes: Thank You Mary

Spicy Bloody Marys
Home Grown Tomatoes is a Vegan/Vegetarian column written by Giovanina Bucci




This is going to be short and sweet (and spicy), my friends.  This girl is hardcore studying for the GREs this week!  That test is going to be the death of me and conveniently I went and scheduled it for this Friday the 13th.  Hmm.  My life has been taken over by words like multifarious, sycophant, and legerdemain.  And a good portion of my brain is over flowing with how to find the area of a million different types of triangles.  Stimulating, I know. 

On a brighter note, I'm headed to Santa Fe this weekend for the first time!  I'm looking forward to a road trip that includes getting out of Flagstaff, tons of art galleries, wonderful company, and the beautiful (from what I'm told) sights of New Mexico.  I figure that it's time to start taking advantage of living out here on the stellar West coast!  Then, coming up in September is a girls weekend visit to the Grand Canyon, which sadly, I haven't even been to yet!  And I've lived here for almost two years!  But I figure what better way to venture into one of the worlds wonders than with some wonderful ladies and a couple of bottles of red wine?!  Speaking of red...

I love bloody marys.  And I love them spicy.  Real spicy.  I haven't done much on the blog as far as libations go, so I figured a good bloody mary recipe would be a fine place to start.




This beverage is also just an excuse for me to eat a tremendous amount of salty, pickled things :)

3 oz. vodka
12 oz. low-sodium V8 juice
dash of Bragg's liquid aminos
black pepper
dash celery seed
dash (or a few) of Tabasco
celery salted rim
(Worcestershire and horseradish are great additives as well, just a bit more difficult to include as a vegan!)

Garnishes:
celery
banana peppers
jalapeno stuffed olives
pepperoncinis
pickled asparagus or green beans (or both!)

YUM!  That's all I'm sayin' :)  Don't you wish you were at Happy Hour?  I'm sorry that you're probably at work right now...so am I!

Enjoy
~Giovanina   

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...