Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The Adventures of Dino Girl & Lame Duck

Who is "Dino Girl?" Dino Girl does not have a blog, but that's her name as far as we're concerned here because that's what her license plate says. Ms. Dino works with me at the museum and loves dinosaurs more than any human you've ever met in your entire life... ever. The house she shares with Film Guy is a shrine of dino paraphernalia. And for the record, unless you've had a friend such as Dino Girl, you could never even imagine the things that come in dinosaur form - Easter baskets, salt and pepper shakers, coat racks, etc.

Anyway, two of Dino Girls' talents are cooking and throwing kick ass parties. B and I were fortunate enough to have an amazing dinner at their house last night, followed by one of the best desserts I've ever had! Red wine poached pears. Half a poached pear covered in the THE yummiest mixture of a red wine reduction sauce that had sugar, cloves, cinnamon, and a whole mess of other wonderful ingredients. YUM!

Also, because my 30th is only a week before the museum gala and it would be too much to take our birthday trip to NYC then, Dino Girl agreed to throw me a wonderful birthday party with a black and white theme. How cute are those invitations?! I told her that if she wasn't careful, I would tag her to make the wedding invitations :)

As for our other, slightly less cool, superhero, Lame Duck... Lame Duck is me and my accompanying frustration. The doctor called me today to tell me that the latest x-rays of my back showed nothing and that all of my vertebrae are firmly in tact. Yes, this is technically good news, I know. But it also means that there is still no discernible reason for my chronic pain. And let me just vent for a moment and say that being in pain every day, not being able to sit on anything hard, not being able to lift or pull anything, sleeping with a pillow between your knees, never being able to go grocery shopping without tearing up at the end, and leaving restaurants because they have inappropriate chairs (all the while they don't know what's wrong) is just so frustrating. Two years worth of frustrating. As much as I dislike taking medicine, I think I would actually be willing to go on a daily medicine if it meant I could increase my quality of life. So anyway... the six weeks of therapy and the subsequent MRI begin in October, so I just need to ride it out until then. Keep your fingers crossed.

4 comments:

feather nester said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a gimpy nickname. I've been referred to as "the lemon" around here for years.

I'm sorry/glad to hear about the vertabrae. But it really is good news because (a) it means you're less likely to need surgery and (b) it means that PT may actually do you some real good. Try to stay positive, though I know it's hard. You've been dealing with the pain for two years, but the doctors are just getting started with you, so give it time. They still might figure it out. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Ouiser said...

I don't really know what to say about your back. I'll be thinking about you, though. I have supreme faith in the American medical system's ability to diagnose you with SOMETHING...and although that statement is overflowing with disdain, I do actually have the utmost trust in their ability to make you feel better.

Give yourself a hug.

die Frau said...

On a totally different turn, my father had jaw pain for years and the only remedy that has worked? Acupuncture. I'm dead serious. Might be worth checking out; clearly it has worked for over a thousand years. Not sure insurance covers it, but it might do something. Good luck, honey!

So here's the ultimate present for Dino Girl: Go on eBay and look for...a vintage Flinstones ashtray with Dino on it. They made them in the '70s, I kid you not. Sold them at Woolworth's. A professor of mine collected them. I think that might knock her socks off, even if she's not a smoker.

die Frau said...

Another idea--what sort of chair do you have at work? Perhaps you want one of those ergonomic ones (no back, you wrap your legs around this part at the bottom and it forces you to sit up straight, but not painfully) or even one of those exercise balls (same effect, although your abs get a helluva workout to keep you balanced)?

Just a thought. Good luck!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...