Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Apples Made Easy


Quick and boring post today as it's the middle of the week and I generally don't have time to be interesting in the middle of the week. I did, however, want to give a little shout out to my new favorite kitchen gadget - the apple slicer!! Feather Nester got this for us off the registry as part of an engagement gift bag and it rocks. On Monday my mom was up and I was still feeling very fall-ish, so I grabbed some apples and organic pork chops and figured that I would improvise from there.

As I went to slice the apple, I had the epiphany that I owned one of these! Awesome. Completely great. And I imagine that if you have kids, it's even more of a time saver. As some of you know, I'm not the greatest lover of technology - I tend to think that most of the time it costs us time and human interaction rather than saving time and increasing interaction. So when I find a gadget, even one that isn't plugged in, that is genuinely useful, I'm very happy and appreciative.

The food picture looks a little like gook-on-a-plate, but it was actually very good. I sauteed apples, onions, rosemary, and minced ginger, then pan seared the chops, and put the whole thing in the oven (chops on top of apple mixture) for a while to finish cooking. Very good and definitely fall-ish.

3 comments:

they call me Grace said...

Wow, that mix of ingredients sounds really great! I'm going to have to try it. Your portions always amaze me- I have no self-control when it comes to tasty food :-)

Now, we need some details re: the apple slicer! Where can we get one!

Hope this finds you well...

Love, V

Strongmama said...

I'm glad you have an apple slicer that works. We have one from pampered chef, which I got guilted into buying, and the thing chops through the apple great, but it stops at the end. You then have to pull out the apple, but it's so tight, which leaves you prone to cut fingers every time. Not fun. It's faster to use a knife.

die Frau said...

You can get the apple slicer anywhere, Jaynes Ave. I got mine at the grocery store, but I'm sure your average Target has them. I LOVE mine. You do have to push the last little bit through, but it's not too bad and I've never cut my fingers on mine. I think Oxo makes it.

Enjoy NYC. You deserve it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...