Thursday, November 15, 2007

Private Pilates

As part of my ongoing work to get my back in order and get me out of pain, my PT prescribed me to go to a private pilates session this week. The pilates instructor I went to was also a PT, so I felt completely confident in the session. And all I can say is... Wow! Wow! Real pilates is nothing like the DVDs that they sell, which I actually own! Nothing.

I immediately trusted my instructor because she was in a conversation with another instructor talking about how she's going to get a boob job once she's done having babies. Why does that make me trust her? Well, there are SO many militant liberals in the town we live in that it was wonderfully refreshing to meet someone who is totally dedicated to the health of her body... but also a normal woman like the rest of us who wants to change things about herself.

Anyway. We spent a full half hour on a completely in depth postural analysis - feet, knees, rib cage, pelvis, shoulders, neck, head, spine, etc. She looks at every part from every angle. It feels a little jarring at first because you're hearing all the things that are wrong with you - your feet pronate in (roll inwards), your knees do something I can't recall, your pelvis tips forward to arch your lower back (typical gymnast pose), your head juts forward and to the left, your left shoulder is overdeveloped, etc.

But it's good to know how in depth the process is and how dedicated they are to making your health improve. Normally we would have spent the next half hour on basic pilates muscle identifications and exercises, but because I'm in physical therapy she went through my 6 nightly exercises and taught me how I should really be doing them. Again... WOW. Basically, the way I was doing them would build me muscle, but not the right kind of muscle so there were a lot of small but radical adjustments.

The basic theory behind pilates, if you don't know, is to build up the stabilizer muscles deep within your body. The smaller muscles that surround your spine, pelvis, etc. The "power muscles" that we typically build by going to the gym or doing a regular ab workout, don't provide stability and strength where I need it most, which is my inner spine. (Interesting anecdote: she said that the "six pack" muscles that we all crave, while beautiful, are the least effective of the stomach muscles and only serve to help you bend forward)

But back to the tiny muscles - you should try to find those!! She told me I had excellent body awareness, meaning that I'm talented at locating muscles and making them do what I'm supposed to, and yet it still seemed nearly impossible! How about this - while laying on your back, try to find the "saran wrap" muscle that wraps around your body. Do this by pretending to bring your two hip bones toward each other, but don't move your spine, tense your butt etc. It was actually kind of funny because I just got to the point where I would think in my mind about moving my hip bones together and then she would say "yes! that's it!". Huh??

I feel like my nightly exercises are going to take about twice as long now because they're so detailed and so specific, but it's great to know that I'm doing them properly. From here I have 5 more private sessions with the pilates instructor. It's pricey, but at this point I'm completely dedicated to doing what I need to do to get better. And not just getting to the point of feeling less pain, but truly and deeply better. After I'm done with my private sessions she's pretty sure that I'll be able to take group classes, which are obviously much more affordable. I'll let you know how it goes!

3 comments:

Strongmama said...

Wow, how great to get such attention that you actually feel you can put to use. Hopefully all this work will pay off and you'll be pain free or close to it soon! Thanks for the six pack info. I will forget the extra situps tonight and go eat that bowl of ice cream now :)

die Frau said...

Is that like a "Private Dancer"? ;-)

And yes, thanks for the six-pack advice! I'm thinking of taking advantage of our "exercise on demand" feature on our TV and doing some Yogalates or something.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I got to read about the session, we did not get to talk about it at lunch fri. Makes me want to go find an instructor. I'm glad you will be able to get some pain relief now.I can now see the importance of having one on one because of the frustraction in large class's that don't teach you the proper way to do the exercises or yoga pose. Love you mom.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...