Tuesday, February 26, 2008

A Little Perspective

I need to apologize in advance for writing this post. Blogs are kind of the nicer side of life. No one writes about their financial problems or theirs fights with their husband, or how sometimes they just want to smack their friends. And I've been holding off on this for three days now, but I can't stop crying and I just have to put it out there.

The 20 year old brother of my brother's best friend Adam is dying of cancer. He only has a few days to live. Adam and my brother grew up together and I love him like my own brother. His younger brother contracted testicular cancer a year ago and became one of those rare, horrible cases where he's not going to survive. My family (mom, cousins, aunts) have been at the hospital everyday and my brother is flying home soon for the funeral. It's only a matter of days now.

I was telling my dad yesterday that I can't chalk this up to yet another rare tragedy because I just feel like I know SO many young people who have died tragically before their time. This is the second friend of my brothers to lose a sibling and the third young person's funeral he'll attend in a year. It's starting to feel like a mass exodus.

So anyway.... there's nothing that can really be done. No one can prevent young people from dying too early and nothing has been able to stop me from bursting into tears every hour. But I thought it could be yet another reminder of all those cliches that we forget so easily. Love your family, don't be afraid, make bold moves, and forget about all of the little bullshit things that we worry about far too much.
Adam is on the far right, my brother is right next to him.

My cousin Lanai (on the left), dancing with Adam's brother Brian.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, honey I'm so sorry. This is a terrible tragedy. All you and your family can do is provide support where it's needed. I'm so sad for the family and friends.

Anonymous said...

thank you for putting into words, the pain I feel for Adam,his mom and family. As a mom there are no words to help just give a hug. The stress of what mark has gone through because of the young friends he has lost. It does puts life into perspective of don't sweat the small stuff.

die Frau said...

Words always seem inadequate.... I'm thinking of all of you and please give my love to Mark and your mom. I know you will do all you can for the family in your way, and don't be afraid or ashamed to cry or cuddle with your cats and B. or do whatever you need to do. Love you!

A radio show I listen to does "Procktober" every October--they joke, but it reminds their male listeners to get checked every year, and every year at least one man writes in to say that because of their show, he found testicular cancer and began treatment. Rare in someone so young as Adam's brother, of course, but it reminds us to take care of ourselves and each other in all the ways we can.

Kazahn said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...