Monday, April 7, 2008

Lost Weekend

Usually I would say that I have a case of Secret Immune System Arrogance. I don't get colds as often as other people and when I do, they're only about half as bad. I chalk this up to water, vitamins, a healthy attitude, and being an obsessive hand washer. B makes fun of me for turning him into someone who is hyper-aware of the cleanliness of his hands. Of course, for him, this means he's up to about 3 washings a day, but it's still a step in the right direction.

Oh how the mighty have fallen. I lost my entire weekend to a terrible and strange cold. It started Friday afternoon when I battled the day with a sore throat and then was told I couldn't volunteer at our Friday night museum event because if the mothers heard how bad my cough was, they would surely flood our phone lines with angry calls about how we exposed their children to sickness.

So I went home and sat on the couch and got worse. My terrible sinus pain and general illness meant that I was awake all night watching movies on TBS until 6:30am when I finally fell asleep for an hour. Then Saturday.... oh, Saturday...

Despite a constant regimen of Sudafed and Advil, my sinus and ear pain was absolutely excruciating. Did you ever notice that when you're that sick, the whole world just stops? Every minute of every hour is slowed down and your awareness shrinks to about a one foot circle around you. And then there was the weirdest symptom of all - the sneezing.

This crazy infection was accompanied by the most violent sneezing I have ever experienced. Constant sneezing that bent me in half and made my limbs flail out - I even accidentally kicked B at one point, doubling him over in pain!

So Saturday night I spent on the couch again, but I did get a few hours of sleep, so that was nice. Then a few hours into the day on Sunday, I felt like I was starting to come out of my coma. When I came into relative consciousness, I noticed 2 strange things: my hands and feet were covered in over 40 small bites from some ridiculous insect that found me on the couch the previous night, and I couldn't walk from all the sneezing. I have no explanation for the odd and gross bite thing, but my stomach and back muscles were in such terrible pain from the sneezing, I literally couldn't walk! Even now, I'm on constant Advil to deal with the soreness.

So, it's Monday morning at 5am and our weekend was totally shot, which really sucks, but I'm basically better now. I have to tell you that B was an absolute saint. He spent all day Saturday getting me tea, heating up the hot packs for my sinuses, getting me water, and cleaning the house like a mad man. I mentioned that we'd have to disinfect the house since we'd both been sick, and he went on a Clorox, cleaning, and laundry rampage. I didn't even know what he had done until Sunday at 11am when I finally got off the couch. Bless him - what a total sweetheart!

Hope your weekend was better than mine. I'll try to post more, I know I've been slacking lately due to the increasing insanity of life. But as the wedding gets closer and our jobs continue their pace, I can't promise anything!

2 comments:

Strongmama said...

Hopefully all of the illness has left your house now and moved on. How awful. Glad you're on the mend now and are able to focus on more exciting things (hmmm, do you have anything coming up soon?):)

feather nester said...

Dang. I'm glad you're feeling better. So sorry you got so sick! The Husband was sick, too, though not as bad as that. What kind of plague did those boys pick up golfing?!?!?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...