Friday, July 18, 2008

Blueberry Redemption

Two days ago I decided to use my extra free time and copious blueberries to make blueberry muffins from scratch. Although I feel ahead of the curve when it comes to cooking, I'm definitely behind the curve when it comes to baking. So, at 30 years old, I was going to make blueberry muffins from scratch for the first time.

I was plugging along with my How to Make Everything cookbook and was pleasantly surprised at how easy the whole process was. Wet ingredients, dry ingredients, little well in the dry ingredients, new muffin pan off the registry. And then I thought to myself, how strange that there is no baking soda or baking powder. But, what do I know, apparently this is how muffins are made. And then - and this is the kicker - I double checked the recipe... TWICE. And yet somehow through the gods of eyesight, I still never saw the 3 tsp of baking powder. So needless to say the "muffins" were much closer to blue hockey pucks than edible treats.

Despite the first cooking tragedy, there were still tons of blueberries, so I made B and I blueberry pancakes this morning. I was too lazy for any kind of homemade recipe, so I was all about the Bisquick. It was therapeutic, I feel like slightly less of a culinary moron now. As you can see I made a few more pancakes than two people can eat, so we'll have breakfast for the entire weekend now.


2 comments:

Strongmama said...

Funny story about blueberry muffins... our friends brought some over on the 4th (the husband made them). Wife was all about getting me to eat one, telling me how delicious they were, but you know how that just makes you suspicious about things? Well I took a bite, it was okay, so that's what I said. Kind of flat tasting. Apparently I earned marks of D- as a friend because I didn't say they were gross. He had forgotten to add the sugar and didn't realize it until they were in the oven!

The pancakes look yummy though!

feather nester said...

Oh, you poor dear! Oh well, live and learn I guess. You get points for being suspicious. You sound like you have mommy brain...? Just kidding. :)

Glad the pancakes came out beautifully! Can't go wrong with Bisquik.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...