Friday, August 8, 2008

Bringing Order to Chaos

Oops - last post was Monday - sorry about that! I've been in the zone this week - weeding out, cleaning, and organizing. I realized this week that I had no idea the chaos we had been living in this past year and a half until I started to untangle it. It's unbelievable. I can't believe I planned a wedding, worked full time, kept a relationship together, and still felt genuinely happy, all while living in a whirlwind.

I think that when people normally move in together, they do it under more relaxed circumstances and they go through a nesting period. That time when you weed out your stuff from high school and college, set up a system for things (storage, bill paying, appointments, etc), and just generally tend to the house.

When we moved in together, we had been homeless for three weeks (living in a friend's spare room, 45 min away, with both cats), had both ended our businesses in the last year, had started new jobs, were finally together for the first time in three years, and on, and on, and on... We spent the first nine months getting used to the transition, and then then next year planning the wedding.

It's no wonder why we were never able to keep things organized and clean around here - there was never a place for anything. Like everything else in life, a house needs tending and it needs attention, and it's something we never had the time for. It's why I'm so incredibly grateful and happy to have this time off. I feel like we're better able to move forward. I feel such a huge sense of relief that we're not just "messy people," but rather, had never really set ourselves up properly. As I'm sure you've figured out in your own house, a chaotic house makes for a chaotic mind. Also, I'm a super huge freak when it comes to organizing - if I have the time, I love to do it, so I'm the right gal for the job.

I think we're up to 25 garage sale boxes and 10 items to take to the tailors. Also, my mom just brought down any childhood stuff of mine that had been stored at her house, so last night I was reintroduced to my cabbage patch dolls, my My Little Pony stable, the bunk bed, and most of all... Kasha Learning.

The story of Kasha Learning is legendary in my family and highlights just how early my super nerd genes were in place. (Feather Nester and Marissa will remember this story) Here's how it goes...

When we lived in Florida, the nice old woman who used to babysit me gave me a doll. The doll didn't come with a name, so it was up to me to choose one.


Mom: What's your doll's name?

Me (THREE years old): Kasha Learning

Mom: Oh... uh... ok. Why did you pick that name?

Me (apparently looking at my mom like she's the dumbest woman on the planet): Because her name is KASHA and she's LEARNING.


Who knew you could be so preoccupied with education at three?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back Kasha Learning! We've missed you. Becky Ruthy sends her regards.

Anonymous said...

Singer Island 1980, Kasha Learning made her appearance.

Love You,
DAD

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...