Monday, May 4, 2009

A Swirling World

I'm trying to keep my cool around here as I continue to realize what a ridiculous month May is going to be. Transition is always crazy, but this one is a little crazier than usual and I'm starting to feel that sink in. We move at the end of the month, but right now that will be the easiest part because it'll be the last. Presumably we'll have someplace to move TO, since we don't have a place to live yet, but we're working on that.

I'm so sorry to say that my grandfather is dying. He's in that last stage where a call could come any minute or the whole thing could drag on for months. I remember this stage when my dad's mother died and it was awful. And just like her, his mental capacity is still at 100%. So in addition to the daily updates we get, there is the inevitable logistics of death that come with having a spread out family. Calls to siblings and cousins about who will be coming home, who won't, who can afford the plane ticket, who needs help with the plane ticket, etc. Accompanying the plans are those thoughts that we all have that we're happy at the thought of seeing each other... just not under these circumstances.

My mom is finishing up her latest nursing assignment in Mesa, AZ and will be driving across the country (with a brief stop to see Feather Nester & Ouiser) to come back home. With the rapidly declining health of her father and her new granddaughter on the way the plan is to stay semi-local for the next few years. At the end of the month, we also have the baby shower and a nice trip to the Adirondacks to relax by the lake and see my family over Memorial Day weekend. Additionally, B has 2 weeks to study for and take the GMATs for grad school so that his completed application can be in by June 1st. We didn't jump on any of this sooner because it didn't look like there were any prospects for moving. Oh yeah... and I'm pregnant. I forgot about that factor for a minute. I have an appointment on Thursday, so I'll have more to report on the baby front after that.

See... it's crazy around here. I'm trying to use our timely wisely since it's still the beginning of the month and early work and preparation will make all the difference. It's nice to be able to pack things up and bring the house down to the bare minimum. I made pretty good progress on that front this weekend while B studied, but of course there's still a lot to do. All of those teeny tiny loose ends that are so easy to neglect, but take a lot of time to tie up.

I'll do my best to keep in touch in blog world, but the posts may get even more random in content than they already are. I know, you're thinking: seriously, is it possible for this blog to get more random??? Well, no, it's probably not, but I'm more aware of it so I felt the need to point it out. I decided last month that if I were to give the blog a tag line it would be this:
Scarlet Lily: Bringing random to a whole new level.

3 comments:

billy said...

Sorry to hear about your grandfather. I know how hard that is. :)

die Frau said...

Good luck with the move and your grandfather and all of it. Don't forget to call my sister and C for help--they're very organized and nice and helpful. :-)

Quinton Quilter said...

Exciting - sad - chaotic - transitioning - scarey - joyous - nervewracking -

So much going on in your life.
#1 - take care of yourself...it sounds selfish but you can't afford to be sick or get hurt. Somehow the rest will get done. Let others show their love and help you out!

More power to B - studying is the pits! I am soooo ready for this semester to end.

How wonderful that in the midst of anticipated sadness there is also the anticipation of togetherness. How fortunate you are to be part of a big, loving family.

Take care my friend - you may not be able to kick back with wine - but a glass of water and time to put your feet up....what joy! Take it one day at a time
Love to all three of you :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...