Thursday, December 17, 2009

Year End Wrap-Up

Yum is my Mantra has invited her fellow bloggy friends to follow in her footsteps and do a Year End Questionnaire. And since I'm trying really hard to be a better blogger but often don't have ideas, this sounded like the perfect easy-way-out!


1. What did you do in 2009 that you'd never done before?
Give birth.


2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions and will you make more for next year?
I don't make New Year's resolutions. My birthday (in September) always feels like a more significant benchmark in the year to look forward and backward than January 1st does.


3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes, B's sister on February 23rd.


4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, thank God. That's my greatest fear.


5. What countries did you visit?
None this year. But my heart is always traveling. I'm meant to visit other countries at least twice a year, so when I can't do that physically, I do it in my mind. Europe (again) and Costa Rica or Belize are on my mental list of the next places to visit.


6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
The same stability and creativity that the end of 2009 held.


7. What dates in 2009 will remain etched in your memory?
February 23rd - birth of our nephew
August 11th - birth of our daughter (on my mom's birthday!!)


8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Maintaining happiness and serenity during a lot of transition and chaos


9. What was your biggest failure?
Something with my mouth, I'm sure. That little baby gets me into trouble at least once a week - I've pretty much just made my peace with that, it's not going to change anytime soon.


10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
The usual back issues, but nothing that would qualify as illness, thankfully.


11. What was the best thing you bought?
B and I actually buy very little, but we splurged on a fancy new camera (Canon SLR) for our new family and it has been worth every penny.


12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Oh wow, I can think of so many people. My husband, during the child birth process. My dear friend A, who is marching through life and nursing school while battling MS. All of Charlotte's grandparents, who love her so dearly. I could go on and on...


13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Right-wing extremists, always. They give Republicans a bad name.


14. Where did most of your money go?
Bills


15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Our babymoon trip to Florida in March, meeting our baby girl, when my brother and father flew in from the west coast to meet her, & any number of small things that involve food or family - little things makes me super excited.


16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
None really.


17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) Happier or sadder? Happier
b) Thinner or fatter? A wee bit fatter
c) Richer or poorer? Emotionally richer, financially poorer


18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Everything. I'm a thinker by nature. I tend to sit around and think about things rather than doing them. I'm getting a lot better though.


19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Wow, I feel like there should be a million answers to this and yet I can't think of one.
(Go read Yum's response to this - it was so great it stopped me right in my tracks)


20. How did you spend Christmas?
This year we're spending Christmas Eve with B's parents, Christmas morning here with my mom and brother, Christmas afternoon with B's extended family, Christmas night here with both families for dinner, and the weekend after Christmas up in Plattsburgh with some of my extended family. Phew! It's tiring just typing it! I hope it's less tiring to live it.


21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
Yes! With the most wonderful baby girl ever!


22. What was your favorite TV program?
Still love The Office, Top Chef, & Project Runway. And my new love is Glee.


23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I don't hate anyone and B doesn't even allow that word to be spoken in the house. Besides, I'm remarkably good at letting things go (in my humble opinion, it's the ultimate key to happiness in life)


24. What was the best book you read?
The Happiest Baby on the Block. You could literally read nothing else while expecting a baby and still feel like a total expert!


25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
There are very few people who are as out of touch with music as I am, but I think Glee was my best musical discovery this year!


26. What did you want and get?
A great place to rent while living in Albany


27. What did you want and not get?
A labor that didn't make me feel mentally scarred.


28. What was your favorite film of the year?
The Hangover!


29. What did you do on your birthday and how old were you?
I turned 32 about 5 weeks after Charlotte was born. We used a gift certificate we got from my dad and had a great family dinner at The Olive Garden.


30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Nothing really.


31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
January - August: Turning size large Target clothes into maternity wear
August - December: Wearing the one pair of larger jeans that I bought for post-baby body over, and over, and over...


32. What kept you sane?
My husband, laughter, and wine.


33. What celeb/public figure did you fancy the most?
"Fancy" as in "have a crush on"? Bradley Cooper. Swoon!


34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Any time grandstanding, idiocy, fear, & lies were used to trump really legitimate issues like health care and climate change.


35. Who did you miss?
Having my father and brother only be able to see Charlotte a few times a year breaks my heart like you can't imagine. THANK GOD for video cameras, text messaging, the Internet, etc.


36. Who was the best new person you met?
Charlotte, of course!


37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009?
Oh god, I feel like I learn them all the time. I don't think a day goes by where I'm not observing, thinking, analyzing, and trying to make myself better.


38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Definitely not musically saavy enough to come up with one. Some song that talks about lots of transitions.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...