Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Charles J. Bucci




The patriarch of our large, loud, wonderful Italian family died this past Saturday. We've gathered from across the state and the country to celebrate his life and the legacy he leaves behind. Our current count is six children, sixteen grandchildren, and sixteen great-grandchildren. There has been wine, food, laughter, tears, food, photographs, antiques, and food. And did I mention the food? Did I mention that when an old Italian dies everyone who has every known them will bring food? Most of the aforementioned family are here in town and barely a dent has been made. Two refrigerators, countless freezers, two back porches, one dining room table, one laundry room, and any other number of flat spaces have been covered. These two days have been some of the most special of my life and I have been reminded yet again what it means to have such a large and amazing network of love that surrounds me.

5 comments:

Leslie said...

I'm sorry to hear the news. But it's heartening when family can come together to celebrate a life...

Wonderland said...

I am sorry, sweetie. I lost both of my grandparents recently and I still talk to them a lot. In my head, they laugh at outrageous jokes I make and celebrate my sucesses. I miss them. You'll miss your elders too. I love you.

billy said...

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. As a good Italian boy myself, i do understand the food...Be well...

die Frau said...

Meant to write sooner--so sorry for your loss. I also talk to my grandparents; I know they hear me. Can't explain it, but it's true. Glad you all got the chance to celebrate his life.

Valerie said...

I am so sorry for your loss but feel warm to know what a wonderful family you have. That is such a beautiful picture, looks just like your mom! Our thoughts and love are with you... xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...