Thursday, May 13, 2010

Oddities of the world

B sent me a great website yesterday called Atlas Obscura about all of the wonderful oddities that this world beholds.  You can search by continent, country, state, or use the search engine to type in a specific city or category.  It'll make you want to jump in the car and take an Oddities of the World road trip.

This is the Mapparium, located at the Christian Scientist World Headquarters in Boston, MA.  It's the only place where you can see the globe from the inside, and therefore get an accurate understanding of where all of the continents lie because your eye is equidistant from all points.

Oddly enough, I used to live right near there when I lived in Boston after college.  The main building on the campus is so large that we used to call it The Mothership.  I was always told that it wasn't open to visitors so I had no idea such an incredible feature was sitting right behind me, but nevertheless it was a great place to go sit on a bench and write in your journal.



Are you a fan of beer?  Maybe you should go to Austria and visit the Starkenberger Beer Resort where you can take a dip in the "world's only beer-swimming-pools."  They claim that sitting in beer is good for the skin and helps to cure open wounds and psoriasis.  Ew.

Or how about the world's largest tree house in Crosville, TN? It was built by a minister who said he was told by God that if he built it, he would never run out of material.  Sort of an odd revelation if you ask me, but Tennessee got a tree house out of it, so who am I to judge?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Um, I am going to make it a point to go to the Maparium now. The Man and I are sufficiently nerdy to love that.

Errr, the beer thing not so much. Maybe I'll make one of my own at home (you know, I don't feel like bathing in the open-wound-juice of strangers...). Now the only question is wheat beer, or IPA?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...