Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Home Grown Tomatoes: Lots O' Grillin'

Vacation and Food Overload
Home Grown Tomatoes is a weekly Vegan/Vegetarian column written by Giovanina Bucci
 


First of all, I apologize for not posting last week.  I think you'll understand better when you look at the picture above and relish for just a moment with me in this place called "Camp".  I spent the last week there with my family in Upstate New York enjoying every bit of relaxation, good food, and catching up with friends and family on the shores of Lake Champlain.  And it was everything that I could have ever needed or wanted...except the end, of course, came far too soon. 

On another note you'll equally understand the short, "do it yourself" type of post this is going to be.  Quite frankly, I'm exhausted.  And I'm also trying to deal with the fact that it's my first day back to work in 10 days.  10 WHOLE DAYS. 

I wanted to share with you a few quick and easy summer salad and grilling ideas.  I feel like the food blog world should develop some sort of scratch 'n' sniff component whereby you could actually smell the grilling happening in these pictures.  It's making my mouth water all over again.



Mama Booch made the salad above and accidentally threw in the feta cheese crumbles before realizing that "the vegan" was back in town:)  She combined fresh lettuce from Papa Booch's garden, purple onion, tomato, cucumber, kalamata olives, fresh raspberries, salt, pepper, garlic powder, a dash of oregano, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  YUM!  I'm pretty sure we ate a salad with every meal growing up, so this particular recipe is oh so close to my heart and it's perfect for summer when you're in the mood for something a bit lighter. 




This is just proof in the puddin' that you can grill corn with the husks on and it comes out just as tender and tasty as usual - not to mention, it leaves the husking up your guests so that you have more time for the millions of other tasks involved with feeding a big crowd!  And at Camp, there is always a big crowd!



How the hell could you go wrong with grilling asparagus?  I just don't think it's possible.  I marinated these yummies in balsamic vinegar, garlic powder and black pepper and threw them on the heat - and let this amazing vegetable do its thing. 

We had so many fabulous meals as always.  It is such a blessing to have such totally awesome friends and family and to have someplace like Camp to share in all of these memories.  There, of course, were plenty of camp fires, outdoor games and beer drinking - and those pictures can be more appropriately found on Facebook :) 

Finally, to leave you with this...



Scarlet Lily and Baby Charlotte came up for most of the week too and as you can see, our little Florida retiree enjoyed Camp every bit as much as we did!

Enjoy!
-Giovanina

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...