Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Leave Your Mark

In the spring of 2002 my friend and I - who had just quit our jobs and left Boston - backpacked around Europe for six weeks.  Before we left I bought us each a sheet of tiny glittery pink heart stickers.  They were super tiny - maybe the size of the end of a pencil eraser - and the point of them was to discreetly leave our mark.

I wanted some way to leave of piece of myself in Europe.  A tiny invisible way to leave something behind and, in an odd way, take something back.  So that's what we did.  Every time we ate somewhere, or stayed somewhere, or visited somewhere that touched us, we'd put a tiny pink sticker someplace totally invisible to say I Was Here.

So if you stay at the Hotel de l'Esperance in Paris or you rent a room from someone who is CLEARY a witch in Kilkenny, Ireland, or you eat at an outdoor restaurant on the Greek island of Santorini, you may be able to see a little piece of my history.

It's an excellent travel idea and I highly encourage a little non-invasive artwork during your next trip.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...