Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Home Grown Tomatoes: Hussel the Brussels

Shout Out to Brussels Sprout
Home Grown Tomatoes is a weekly Vegan/Vegetarian column written by Giovanina Bucci.




First, let me apologize for writing you like a two second post two weeks ago and COMPLETELY forgetting to write last week.  Labor Day got a hold of my sense of time and quite frankly, ruined it.  Life has quickly turned upside down and there's no going back.  I bet you're thinking to yourself, and all she could think to welcome us back with... was Brussels Sprout?!  Yes.  But I love them.  By the way, I've been putting the "s" on Sprout and not on Brussel for about 25 years now - who freaking knew?  Anyway, to briefly catch you up on both what's been happening in the land 'o' Giovanina and what's going to be on the plate (that pun was an accident) for the month of September... let me debrief.  As I mentioned, school has started, my friends.  So I'm working full time and taking three Grad classes, plus my hip-hop class two nights a week - which, I'm unwilling to give up.  I don't give a hoot how tired I am...you can bet your ass that this ass will be moving to some solid beats on Monday and Wednesday nights for the next 15 weeks.  Hollar.

I went to the Grand Canyon this past weekend for a bit of a girls' getaway.  It was my first time there and it was probably one of the most beautiful days of the year!  I drank Oak Creek Nut Brown on the edge - and it was amazing :)  We drove back to Sedona and spent the evening laughing and talking over wine, reminiscing and making new memories.  Perfect.

Next up on the list, I'm once again going to try and kick the shiz out of the GRE's, which are coming up ever so fast and feverishly.  Dammit!  Then October is rolling around with a visit from my parental units and I'm ending the month with a bang: a trip to Las Vegas to see Widespread Panic.  Yes.  You heard me correctly.  LAS VEGAS FOR WIDESPREAD.  I'm equally as excited to see my parents, although I didn't take the time to capitalize :)  November is too far away to discuss...

And the news I've been waiting to tell you.  Are you sitting down?  I hope so, you're at a computer.  Home Grown Tomatoes will officially be coming to an end in the next couple of weeks.  I was going to finish up on the 50th post, but I'm going to really plan my next couple posts and finish on the 52nd post - so I can go out with a bang and stop leaving you with pictures of Brussels Sprout.

I feel like writing this blog has been such an eye opening experience, and I'll most certainly get into the mushy gushy before I leave.  I'm not going far, trust me, and it's not that I don't love you. It's just...ugh...I'll say it. Time. You've probably been able to tell over the last month or so that some of the posts have not been my best effort. I'm out of time. Not ideas, though, and this is why some sort of project will continue on - and I'll tell you all about it when I figure it out :)  But I will...mark my words...continue this adventure of cooking and eating and sharing.

Scarlet Lily, can we pretend that you're (a much cuter) Conan O'Brien and I'm like one of your favorite guests and you have me back every six months or something?  Great.  I'll plan on it!

I don't even have a great Brussels plan to leave you with...just some thoughts and ideas about how to turn these often hated little buggers into something you can love and appreciate.  Below is a picture before they were steamed, sitting in the colander preparing to get their socks rocked off.  Or mine.


My most favorite way to eat these is simply steamed and served with a side of aioli.  Great texture, great tang, great taste.  Steam the Brussels on medium heat (covered) for about 12 - 18 minutes.  I tend to enjoy mine a bit more al dente, but cooked enough to be able to pierce a fork through them.  I think I've raved about the aioli a million times on this blog, but I can't help it.

Garlic Aioli
Veganaise - 1/2 C.
Apple Cider Vinegar - 2 Tbs. or so
Red Pepper Flakes - to satisfy your spicy index
Fresh or Powdered Garlic - A. Lot. :)
Lemon Pepper (dash)


Another yummy way to enjoy Brussels Sprout is to steam them until just barely tender and then chop them up and throw them in a frying pan on medium low heat with fresh garlic, some whole grain mustard, apple cider vinegar and whatever other seasonings you enjoy.  Then serve with dried cranberries or raisins and some walnuts or pecans and you've got yourself a nice tangy and hearty, slaw type of side dish.


They're also really tasty if you serve them roasted with some fresh cheese and nuts or seeds.  I searched this veggie on Tastespotting and found 6 pages of recipes!  So undoubtedly, there is a little something out there for everyone!  I urge you to go and try to restore your faith.  It's become a staple of mine and honestly, I think it was the name that scared me more than anything when I was little munchkin.  So maybe, those of you with children, should come up with a really clever name - like a Harry Potter reference and call them Beauxbatons or something and let them live under an illusion until they can bear to hear the truth.  Is that wrong?  I'm not a parent, maybe I should shush up :)   


Now it's your turn.  Go.  And I'll also leave with a little shout out to my daddy, Happy Birthday!  You are top notch Big Papa and we're so lucky to have you!!!! Xoxoxo:)

Enjoy!
~Giovanina

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sure, you just keep those classes that will give you a truly fine ass, even if it means you you leave us (me) hanging in the wind. You have been the highlight of my Tuesdays! God, I need to get a job!
Please do Random guest posts, when you make a really scrumptious dish.
I'll miss you weekly:).
Mary

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...