Monday, October 22, 2007

The Good, The Bad, and The Prehistoric

We're going to do the round-up of good, bad, and prehistoric in reverse order. First, the prehistoric. As you can see below, our new exhibit Dinosaurs in Popular Culture opened on Friday night. The exhibit is great, especially considering the fact that our Dir. of Exhibits had no sponsor money to work with and put every little piece of the exhibit together (paint, panels, printing, fabric, wood, etc) for only $1500. To give you some perspective, we would normally want $10,000 for an exhibit like this.

The image below is the correct (red) and incorrect (grey) portrayals of the T. Rex. I find this particularly interesting because I had no idea about this until I started working at the museum. You don't study dinosaurs much when you're a psychology major. Anyway, scientists have known since the 60s that the T. Rex stood horizontal with it's tail off the ground, and yet all of my memories and mental images of T. Rex are of him vertical with his tail dragging. See! Popular culture interfering with science!


The next pictures is one of the many cases of dino kitsch. There was clothing, games, books, food, etc. This one is figurines.

This is A. making a silly face in front of the Dinos Across America section - a map of some of the roadside dinosaur attractions across the U.S.

Now for the bad. The bad involves me feeling like I have no blood in my face and I'm about to have an aneurysm and I'm instantly (and insanely) furious over something little. It only happens about twice a year, and today I realized that it happens with the perfect storm of stupidity and bad customer service.

So I'm walking around Wegmans, land of good customer service and good food, and I go up to the fish counter where there is a little sign that says that I can get a pound of fish for $11 or two six ounce servings for $8. This is something they do a lot and it's a great way to make sure you're eating a normal portion size. So I ask for two six ounce portions. Then the girl behind the counter looks at me like I'm crazy and says they can't do that because they would have to cut the fish and then couldn't sell the small leftover portion. And that's it. That's all it took for me to want to kill her and make a weapon out of fish and throw it at her. And had I not been too crazy with rage to get an actual sentence out of my mouth, I would have asked why the sign says that I can get that if I can't. But instead I sat there with my mouth opened and my head cocked, making "dumb face" at her because I knew if I spoke, it would be really mean.

So, yes, I sound like a crazy person. But I have to believe that everyone has their own crazy button. And I have to believe that with mine only going off about twice a year, I'm actually in pretty good standing. But just for giggles, please share your crazy button stories with me and make me feel better :)

Now for the good. The good was our engagement photo session yesterday. It was SO bad ass!!! We asked her to do an urban photo shoot since all of our wedding pictures will be nothing but trees and a lake. Not that that won't be beautiful, but it seemed like it would be too redundant to have all the photos with the same composition. Boy did she deliver! We got pictures in a graffiti park, on the train tracks, hanging off a train, standing in the middle of the street, etc. They're going to be amazing. Unfortunately, the prints are quite expensive, so I'll probably just have to look and drool and buy a few as presents, but I'm dying to see them! They go up on her website in a few weeks, so we'll have to wait until then.

6 comments:

feather nester said...

Does she do digital? Ask her if after the wedding, after you've bought all the prints you're going to and your album and everything, if you can have the digital files (or maybe she'll sell them to you for a very good price). Say you want them just for security reasons...in case something happens to your hard copies. She won't keep them forever. That's what we did with our photographer. I've also heard of photographers who want to keep the files for two years or five years or something, then will give them to you. Then, in the future, if you want more prints, you can print them yourselves. You won't use as nice paper as she will, most likely, but you could still have hard copies cheaper, if you're willing to wait. Just a thought...

Ouiser said...

the pictures sound great. i can't wait to see them.

as for crazy stories, i wish i could think of some. unfortunately, i fly off the handle (in my mind) so regularly that i can't even remember any specifics. the last time i was at sam's the lady started loading my stuff into the cart that was next to her instead of the cart that s was in. i asked her if she minded to put our stuff into the cart with the baby so i wouldn't have to move s. she proceeded to roll her eyes at me, which nearly sent me into convulsions. then she dropped our sodas and started piling them into the cart. when i told her that they'd be flat and could someone please get us a different case, she said, "no," and kept loading them up. i told her that i didn't want them at all because they wouldn't be worth drinking. she rolled her eyes at me again, and i swear i almost went to find her manager. i thought i would explode. there. i remembered an irrational anger story.

they call me Grace said...

As for the crazy button, I'd say twice a year is superior! So much so that it even makes me a little suspicious. :-)

I, too, have very little tolerance for bad customer service and know that this is directly related to the fact that we had to sling cajun popcorn and corn chowder for a living. Just this past weekend, I was out to breakfast with some family. My sister-in-law asked the waitress if the o.j. had pulp in it. She responded, "I don't know," and then just stood there. I DON'T KNOW! Wow, I just stared at her, gaping mouth and all, for fear that if I did say something it she would probably run away and cry. My flaring nostrils told the whole story, though. My crazy button, however, goes off at least every other month. At least.

The pictures sound so cool! I can't wait to see them on her website!

Love, V

they call me Grace said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Strongmama said...

I had a mini crazy moment in Target today. The cashier was taking FOREVER. We were on a timeline if we wanted to get to the library Halloween party on time. She rang up a lady, she paid, then the cashier went back in her bags looking at stuff and told her she couldn't use her coupons twice. The lady is explaining they are different. I chime in with, "I'm sure your computer wouldn't accept them if they were the same.That's what happens to me." Innocent enough, right? She lets the lady go. When it was my turn, she started throwing my stuff into the rubbermaid container I bought (I asked to use that as my bag). We're talking slamming it in. I say thank you when she hands me my receipt. She says nothing. So I, red in the face, say, "Don't I even get a Have a nice day?" She mumbled something. As I was walking out, the manager happened to be walking by, so I said, "You have one rude cashier over there." He said, "Good?" I said, "No. Rude. As in fire her." And she was an older lady cashier. Aren't they supposed to be the nicest? Especially with a cute kid in your cart??

die Frau said...

I don't remember the last crazy explosion I had but I'll be sure to write one up soon. Mine mostly entail stupidity with me goggling as I try to come up with a response but can't because I'm still stunned that the person said that in the first place.

Although I will say I just encountered a woman who referred to her son having "some Chinaman" as a teacher who "could barely be understood". I nicely responded with a defense about how I'm so impressed that they can speak another language so well as to teach it in an American school, etc., but I had a neon sign in my head screaming, "CHINAMAN?"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...