Thursday, May 29, 2008

A place of eternal presence


Sometimes at night I fall into bed with at least another 4 minutes of awake-time left in my bones. When I'm smart, I use those 4 minutes to get through another few pages of my book - Eat, Pray, Love. I'm reading it at a glacial pace, so I'll probably be talking about it when B and I send our first kid off to college.

When I mentioned it before, the author was in Italy, now she is in India. I read a really beautiful passage last night that I wanted to share. The thoughts are in reference to Yoga, but they obviously don't have to be. They're good words to live by in general:

Yoga is the effort to experience one's divinity personally and then to hold on to that experience forever. Yoga is about self-mastery and the dedicated effort to haul your attention away from your endless brooding over the past and your nonstop worrying about the future so that you can seek, instead, a place of eternal presence from which you may regard yourself and your surroundings with poise. Only from that point of even-mindedness will the true nature of the world (and yourself) be revealed to you.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...