Friday, May 16, 2008

What’s Your Word?

On Wednesday I alerted you to our next poll. And since I’ll be gone for three days at a wedding, it gives everyone plenty of time to respond!
As I mentioned, I was reading Eat, Pray, Love and in it was a conversation between the author and her friend and they were discussing the concept that every city has one word that describes that city and the people who live there. One word that underscores the desires and intentions of the city… and if your own intentions match that word, you will fit in perfectly. But if they don’t match that word, you will never fully fit in and feel at home.
So taking this concept to the personal level, I asked you to think about the one word that drives you, that defines you. I already received two great responses on Wednesday, so I’ll repost the comments here to kick off the discussion. And if it makes you more comfortable, just post your word anonymously. With or without explanation, your choice.
My word is BEAUTY. A very insightful individual pointed out to me years ago that I look for the beauty in all things. This observation was so true that it stunned me. And it really does get to the heart of how I think and feel. I’ve told you before that when I walked into the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam and saw the passion with which the paintings were created, my heart stopped.
But it’s not just obvious, physical beauty that I seek out; it really is the beauty in all things and all people. It’s the reason why the simplest of pleasures make me joyful – sitting on the couch with my love, a good glass of Pinot Noir, laughing with family, the sight of the Adirondacks, etc.
I’m looking forward to getting some insight into your thoughts by reading about the words you’ve chosen. Have a lovely weekend.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

From Billy:

Interesting concept. I think the word that describes me would be a shock to most...Billy=Uncertain.

It's true what they say about the tears of a clown...I mask lots of things very well. I'm painfully shy and you wouldn't know it, I'm always scared of new things, you have no idea how much time I spend praying, and I have an over whelming need to be loved/liked by others.

How strange it is that I am not afraid, or uncertain to leave this here. For you and all those out in the dark to read...

Anonymous said...

From Sweet Nothings:

I think the word for my town would be either FOOD or UNDERDOG. Yes, I like the latter. I say food because we have a ton of restaurants, countless pizza joints, and fame for chicken wings. We also have the highest rate of diabetes and heart disease in the country. Coincidence?

I say underdog because of our sports teams (four Superbowls, no wins; various Stanley cup playoffs, ditto) and our under appreciated waterfront, art museum, proximity to Toronto, natural wonder, and quality of life for little money. Our city rocks! And we all know it! (or we move away...but many return!)

die Frau said...

I think the word that describes how I try to live my life is GENUINE. I try to be the real deal to everyone I know: my family, my friends, my beliefs, my students. This sometimes gets me in trouble, but but mostly it makes me a person who strives to be loyal (another word I considered) and honest (ditto) in my dealings with others and myself. I also look for this in other people; I despise duplicity and artifice in others and try to teach my students to do the same, particularly with themselves.

My husband is one of the most genuine people I've ever known: What you see is what you get, and it's real and obvious the second you meet him. I strive to be as forthright as he is. It's one of the main reasons I love him so much and chose to spend my life with him.

This has led me to green up my life a little more (using less fake stuff, more organic and local, etc.) and try to be the best me I can be, because anything less certainly isn't "the real me". It's a daily struggle, but I try--even if my offering is imperfect (see my blog to see what that means), if it's genuine, that's enough. I hope this all makes sense!

Strongmama said...

I just wrote a big long thing about my word being loyal, but it occurred to me that isn't really correct, although I do think I am extremely loyal. I think a better word for me is unconditional. If you are in my life, I unconditionally trust you and will always be there for you, which is loyalty in a sense, but it's deeper than that. It's that unspoken sense that is communicated to someone that lets one know you will always be there. It's what keeps me there for friends who haven't kept in touch in years and all of a sudden pop up again in my life. It's what always makes me want to help to take care of and nurture the people I love. It allows me to try to see the good side in a bad situation that may be hurting me and try to move on to preserve a relationship with someone I value. Sometimes I wonder if this is just another word for doormat, but in the long run, I believe this unconditional whatever (love, support, friendship, trust, commitment) has guided me through really good and bad times and has helped me to be a more understanding and nonjudgmental person, which is really tough thing for a girl from Long Island to be!

It is so hard to pick one word!!

Anonymous said...

Panache. This has always been one of my favorite words and I think it describes my life and my city perfectly. Since I was very young I've always wanted to add color, style, purpose, and all around flair to my life and surroundings. Though I wouldn't call Burlington, Vermont the fashion capital of the world, it's a place where people aren't afraid to put their own personal panache out there whether it's their politics, their homes, their festivals, or their personal style. I love seeing other people's panache shine through and am determined to live in a world where people's individual style, beliefs, and desires are embraced and celebrated.

Ouiser said...

okay...while my word should probably be FLIGHTY, i'll go with PASSIONATE. i tend to dive into whatever i'm doing with all of my energy. being a mama, cooking dinner, working on the lawn, whatever. of course, this leads to a lot of burnout, which is where i tend to seem pretty flighty, but i really just wear myself out.

my answer is not nearly as profound as the others. luckily, PROFOUND wasn't my word!!

feather nester said...

Maybe "indecisive" should be my word! Die Frau keeps calling me "resilient." I have a looooooong history of people calling me "loyal." The Husband would call me "passionate," I think, in the same way that Ouiser described. I still don't feel like any of these are quite the "it" word though. I'm still thinking on it and will let you know if I ever figure it out. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...