Thursday, November 20, 2008

Tofu Sloppy Joes

If you’re looking to dip your toe ever so slightly into the tofu pool but are generally scared and suspicious about the whole thing, I think this is the recipe you should start with. My cousin is a vegan and gave me this idea when I asked for easy dinners that use tofu. It’s really simple and fast and even got a stamp of approval from B.

In regards to B, the culinary stamp of approval for trying new dishes is not whether or not he’ll eat it. He’s just worked 9 hours, he’s tired and hungry, as long as he’s not making it, he’ll pretty much eat anything I put in front of him. There was only one exception to this, but I can’t remember what the dish was. The REAL test is whether he concludes the meal by saying “I’ll take the leftovers for lunch tomorrow.” And since he said that last night, I feel a responsibility to pass on the dish.


  • Buy a package of extra firm tofu (I cut ours in half laterally and use half and freeze half. Beware: once tofu is frozen it turns a strange yellow, but it looks normal again once you defrost it)
  • Drain the tofu by putting it on cloth napkins or paper towels on a plate, put a second plate on top of it and put a weight on that top plate. Let sit for about 15-30 minutes
  • Chop green peppers and onions (I like to use a lot for this dish because it adds to the crunch of the dish), sauté in a pan with olive oil
  • Once drained, crumble all the tofu with your hands and add to pan
  • Add your favorite BBQ Sauce (we like Dinosaur BBQ sauce), mix together and heat through. If there is a little too much water in the pan at this point, just let it steam off for a while.
  • Put on a bun, add your favorite side (we had French fries tonight) and you’re done!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...