Friday, February 20, 2009

Friday Philosophy

Here's something for you to ponder - as a society are we getting more enlightened as the years go on or are we dumbing ourselves down? It's actually something I think about sometimes and of course I come up with a different answer every time. So I was struck when I was reading Girl's Gone Child and she posted this video of Comedy Central's movie Idiocracy. I haven't seen the movie, but the trailer is enough to scare the crap out of you. Years ago someone said to Feather Nester, in the midst of a conversation of whether is was responsible to have children considering the population problem, that it was people like her (educated, thoughtful, etc.) that should be having children. Any thoughts as to whether we're getting more or less enlightened as the decades tick by or on the children conundrum?


2 comments:

innspecter said...

Speaking as someone who has seen the movie Idiocracy, it has merit. It has something to say, and the message is an interesting one, but the movie isn't for everyone. Some people think it's genius. Others, like my GF, think it sucks balls. I don't think I'll be rushing out to watch the movie again any time soon but it was alright. This clip/trailer might be all you really need though.

die Frau said...

I've had a similar thought more times than I care to mention. The movie itself was awful, but the concept felt strangely, eerily prescient. When I really thought about what life might be like 200 years from now with...less smart...people churning out, oh, say, fourteen children (guess who I'm thinking of) while people like my smart friends have two, it scares me.

I hold onto the knowledge that intelligence is a dominant trait and the hope that Social Darwinism will continue to prevail.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...